Archive for bosnia and herzegovina

Oliver Krsmanovic sentenced to 18 years!

Posted in Uncategorized with tags , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , on September 1, 2015 by visegrad92

Former Bosnian Serb Army serviceman Oliver Krsmanovic was sentenced to 18 years in prison for crimes against humanity including the killings and forced disappearances of Bosniaks in Visegrad in 1992.

ubistva-na-drini
Justice Report – BIRN
The state court in Sarajevo on Monday found Krsmanovic guilty on eight counts for taking part in the killings and forced disappearances of Bosniak civilians, as well as other inhumane acts in the eastern Bosnian town of Visegrad during wartime.

The court ruled that Krsmanovic took part in the hijacking and killing of 16 Bosniak civilians travelling from Sjeverin in Serbia on October 22, 1992, and in the killings of eight Bosniak men at the Varda factory in Visegrad earlier that year.

According to the verdict, Krsmanovic, a member of the Second Podrinje Light Infantry Brigade of the Bosnian Serb Army, committed the crimes with Milan Lukic, the leader of a Serb paramilitary unit called the White Eagles, who was sentenced by the Hague Tribunal to life in prison for crimes in Visegrad.

Krsmanovic was also convicted of being responsible for the forced disappearance of a number of civilians, the torture of one Bosniak in Visegrad and beating up a prisoner in the Rasadnik detention camp in 1995.

The court however cleared him of taking part in rapes and torture.

It also said that the prosecution failed to prove that Krsmanovic took part in the burning alive of 80 Bosniak civilians in Bikavac in June 1992.

“The role of the defendant [in the Bikavac killings] was unclear to the chamber,” said presiding judge Darko Samardzic.

The court further acquitted Krsmanovic of two incidents of rape and sexual abuse at the Vilina Vlas Hotel in Visegrad because the witnesses were unsure whether the defendant was the person who assaulted them.

“We believe that the punishment fits the crime and the role of the defendant,” said Samardzic.

“The chamber finds no mitigating circumstances. The fact that the defendant is a family man has no bearing on the crimes. He offered no remorse, but continued to commit crimes,” the judge added.

This verdict can be appealed, while the two-and-a-half years that Krsmanovic spent in custody from 2011 to 2013 will count toward his sentence.

Later this month, he will also stand trial in a separate case in which he is charged alongside nine other Bosnian Serbs with the abduction and killings of 20 passengers seized from a train at a station in Strpci in Bosnia in 1993.

Advertisements

Visegrad Genocide Quotes – 2

Posted in Uncategorized with tags , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , on June 24, 2015 by visegrad92

quotescover-JPG-46

#Srebrenica2015 Social Media Campaign

Posted in Uncategorized with tags , , , , , , , , , on April 25, 2015 by visegrad92

11058534_855041791234042_1624280273524059362_n

Follow and Support the First Social Media Campaign for Bosnian Genocide

11/07/2015 will mark the 20th Anniversary of the genocide in Srebrenica. We were here to commemorate, educate and to call the world to do the same. We’re asking you to join us in doing so. Honour the victims, listen to the survivors, learn the facts and make a promise to never forget what happened on this day.

#Srebrenica2015

Visegrad – Straziste cemetery

Posted in Uncategorized with tags , , , , , , , on January 18, 2015 by visegrad92
A Bosniak (Bosnian Muslim) man reading the Qur'an at the Straziste cemetery in Visegrad. The Straziste cemetery is the resting ground for martyrs who were murdered during the genocide in Visegrad 1992-95.   Photo credits: Velija Hasanbegovic

A Bosniak (Bosnian Muslim) man reading the Qur’an at the Straziste cemetery in Visegrad. The Straziste cemetery is the resting ground for martyrs who were murdered during the genocide in Visegrad 1992-95. Photo credits: Velija Hasanbegovic

Radomir Susnjar aka “Lalco” waiting Extradition from France

Posted in Uncategorized with tags , , , , , , , , on January 18, 2015 by visegrad92

radomir susnjar

Photo: Radomir Susnjar, former Bosnian Serb soldier from Visegrad in Paris Court. Susnjar is suspected of taking part in one of the worst war crimes committed during the Bosnian Genocide 1992-95. He is suspected of taking part in burning alive of around 70 Bosnian Muslim civilians in the Pionirska Street Massacre in Visegrad on 14 June 1992.

“Genocide” erased from Visegrad memorial

Posted in Uncategorized with tags , , , , , , , on January 26, 2014 by visegrad92

erasing-memory-20140124-115233-789

 

 

Image: Worker erasing the word genocide from the memorial in Visegrad. At least 100 members of the Republika Srpska Special police forces backed the Visegrad authorities in its desecration of the Islamic cemetery in Visegrad.

Bosnian Serb authorities backed by police officials have removed the word “genocide” from a memorial plaque erected in the eastern Bosnian town of Visegrad for the Bosniaks killed during the 1992-1995 war.

The mayor of Visegrad, Slavisa Miskovic, said the word genocide was offensive to local people because there “is no proof of verdict about genocide in Visegrad”.

The Bosnian town is the site of one of the most horrendous war atrocities committed by Serb paramilitaries, led by Milan and Sredoje Lukic in 1992. Fifty-nine Bosniak elderly and women were detained in a house, along with 17 children, and burnt alive.

The memorial, erected in the Straziste Muslim cemetery, reads: “To all killed and missing Bosniaks, children, women and men, victims of genocide in Visegrad”.

However, authorities described the memorial as “illegally erected” and previously attempted to remove the word “genocide” last December. The move was postponed after Bosniaks’ protests.

A 1991 census showed that the population of the town was 25,000 – 63% were Bosnian Muslims.

According to documents of the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY), some 3,000 Bosniaks were murdered during the 1992-1995 violence, including 600 women and 119 children.

Visegrad was subjected to “one of the most comprehensive and ruthless campaigns of ethnic cleansing in the Bosnian conflict”, according to the ICTY.

Read more: Ibtimes.com

VGM warned about the possibilities of the memorial to be demolished.

Read also: Letter of support: Responsibility to protect genocide memorial in Visegrad

Dzombic: We will act promtly

Visegrad: 20 years on

 

In Memoriam: Behija&Dzemo Zukic

Posted in Uncategorized with tags , , , , , , , , , , , , , on August 11, 2009 by visegrad92

zukic behija

Image: The tombstone of Behija Zukic in Visegrad.

Image: Behija Zukic, famous businesswomen from Visegrad.

Behija and her husband Dzemo Zukic lived in Germany before returning to Visegrad where they opened up a few stores. They were well-known  and respected by everyone in Visegrad. They owned a brand new red Volkswagen Passat passenger vehicle. Witness VG-042 testified at the Hague:

“One day I went to the MUP building in town to get a pass  to leave town just to make sure we were safe.  I was on my way back to Dusce.  There were two roads.  One was next to the Drina River; it was an asphalt road, surfaced.  And then there was a macadam road parallel to the rail line, so we took that road in order not to meet any Chetniks on our way back.  As soon as I reached the Varda furniture factory, there’s a house there belonging to a man named Sevko Hodzic.  Dzemo Zukic and his Behija passed us, and then there was a white Fico driving behind us and it pulled over right outside Sevko Hodzic’s house.  Milan Lukic got out of that Fico vehicle and walked up to Vico [as interpreted] Zukic and his wife Behija.  He seized their car.  We walked on past the Varda factory to our homes.  I said, Dzemo, my dear, what was that?  And Behija told me one thing, Don’t ask a question.  Milan Lukic just took my car away.  And that was that.  We talked no more.”

Behija was shot and killed by Milan Lukic at her doorstep on 21 May 1992. Her husband Dzemo and son were taken away by Lukic and other members of Bosnian Serb Army’s Special Unit “Avengers” (“Osvetnici”). Behija was later buried in Straziste cemetery by her neighbors.

Her funeral would also be remembered by Visegrad’s Bosniaks. Zukic family’s TAM Truck which was seized by the Special Unit “Avengers”, drove up to the cemetery entrance and armed camouflaged Serb soldiers, members of the “Avengers”, got off the truck and started apprehending Bosniak men and shoving them onto the truck.  The other people present at the funeral started running in panic across the cemetery into the woods. Around 15 Bosniaks men were shoved onto the truck that day and have not been seen since.