Archive for Yugoslav Peoples Army

Visegrad concentration camps: Institution for the Protection of female children and adolescents

Posted in Uncategorized with tags , , , , , , , , , , , , , , on August 29, 2009 by visegrad92

130

Image: The Institution in Okoliste.

The Institution for the Protection of female children and adolescents (Zavod za zastitu zenske djece i omladine) is located in Okoliste on a hill above Visegrad. It was a former army base which was converted into an Institution which took care of several hundred mentally challenged children from the whole of Yugoslavia.

In 1992, the Republika Srpska Army to whom the Yugoslav Peoples’ Army, handed over control of Visegrad ,converted the Institution into a concentration camp for Bosniak civilians, according to witness accounts, several Bosniak women were raped by Bosnian Serb soldiers in this Institution.

The employees working at the institution were threatened and force to leave or were arrested and murdered by Visegrad Serbs, members of the Republika Srpska Army.

Billede

Image: The employees at the Institution; (from left to right standing): Omerovic Rasim, Isic Jasmina, Sabanija Fikret, Susko Behija, Kolasinac Dedo, Tankovic Sevala, Dzafic Jasna, Rasidkadic Dzelal-Lalo, Maluhic Rasim-Baca; (from left to right sitting): Osmanagic Sukrija, Sabanija Avdo, Draskovic Mira, Isic Sabiha, Brankovic Devleta.

Brankovic Devleta was last seen held in Hasan Veletovac School with her parents.  Maluhic Rasim-Baca was murdered in Jelaci.  Omerovic Rasim murdered in Visegrad, his wife was shot and killed while being deported from Visegrad by bus. She was holding her baby son in her arms.  Osmanagic Sukrija escaped to Srebrenica, where he was killed during the genocide in July 1995.  Fadila Avdic, was called home by a family member and never seen again.

Advertisements

Kurtalici exhumation video

Posted in Uncategorized with tags , , , , , , , , , , , , , , on July 9, 2009 by visegrad92

Bosnian mass grave found in riverbed

December 5, 2000
Web posted at: 5:04 PM EST (2204 GMT)

KURTALICI, Bosnia — A mass grave containing the bodies of at least 30 people, believed to be Muslims, has been discovered in an eastern Bosnian riverbed.

The victims are believed to have been killed by Serb separatists in 1992, a forensic expert said. Up to 40 bodies could be in the grave in the Drina river, near Visegrad.

Amor Masovic, head of the Muslim Commission for Missing Persons, told the Reuters Television news agency: “I can say for sure that there are at least 30 bodies here and doctors tell me that there could be as many as 40.”

Masovic said the grave was found only because the water level in the Drina had fallen five to six metres (16 to 19 feet) to rare lows and receded 20 metres (65 feet) along both banks.

“The water level was low in 1992 and they thought that this grave would never be found,” he said, referring to the executioners.

The commission has so far exhumed the remains of some 200 Muslims buried in the Visegrad area but it is looking for another 1,100.

More than 6,000 bodies from about 180 mass graves and 2,000 single graves across Bosnia have been retrieved.

But about 23,000 Bosnians remain missing from the 1992-95 war, in which killed about 200,000 people.

Clothes found with the remains indicated that all victims were civilians, Masovic said as more than a dozen forensic experts unearthed bones, skulls and clothing from the Visegrad river grave.

“We have found a lot of spent bullet cases and wire which means they were brought here, tied up, then executed,” Masovic said.

A person whose body was found several metres away from the grave might have been shot while trying to escape, he added.

Visegrad had a mixed population before the 1992-95 war but many Slav Muslim inhabitants were either expelled or killed early in the conflict by local Serb forces and the Uzice corps of the Serbian-led Yugoslav army.

Mehemed Kurtalic, a Muslim, said he stumbled upon the riverbed grave in October when he went fishing shortly after returning to the area from an eight-year exile.

“Most of these people were my relatives, neighbours and friends and I have already identified some of them. My wish is that they be buried in a dignified way,” the 36-year-old father of two said.

Source: CNN

Momir Savic sentenced to 18 years for war crimes.

Posted in Uncategorized with tags , , , , , , , , , , , , , on July 7, 2009 by visegrad92

Mimir Savic

REUTERS – Bosnia’s war crimes court jailed a Bosnian Serb wartime army commander on Friday for 18 years for the killing, rape and torture of Muslims in eastern Bosnia early in the 1992-95 war.

“Momir Savic was found guilty of persecution, murder, imprisonment, rape, torture and other inhuman acts against Bosnian Muslim civilians in and around the eastern town of Visegrad from April to September 1992,” it said in a statement.

Savic, 58, was a member of a paramilitary unit formed when the Uzice Corps of the former Yugoslav Peoples Army (JNA) launched its operations in Bosnia, and then became a company commander of the Bosnian Serb army’s Visegrad Brigade.

According to the indictment Savic and several other Serb soldiers had taken 10 Muslim civilians from their homes in a Visegrad neighbourhood in May 1992, beaten and then executed them.

He took part in other, similar incidents and once, “when one civilian tried to run away, shot at him … and deprived him of his life,” it said.

He was also found guilty of having repeatedly raped a Muslim woman in her house from June to September 1992, threatening her to stop her telling anyone, as well as of taking part in the interrogation and beating of Muslims from villages around Visegrad, and of plundering and burning their houses.

Bosnian Serb forces, helped by the Serb-dominated JNA and Serbian paramilitaries, committed the worst atrocities against Muslims in eastern Bosnia early in the conflict as part of their bid to create exclusively Serb territories.

The Bosnian war crimes court was set up in 2005 to allow the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia (ICTY) in The Hague to focus on the most serious abuses of the conflict in which over 100,000 people were killed.